[AZORES-Genealogy] Question about Azores Passport Records.
Justin Brown
2018-11-20 07:47:40 UTC
Was it mandatory for all people leaving the islands to "get a passport" or be recorded. Even if it wasn't their first time departing the island. I ask because I have the immigration records for here in the US, but can't seem to find the corresponding record in the Azores passport records, as I have in the past.
The person in question is Maria Julia Borges (Maiden name Desouza or Souza though not in the record) age 32-34 who is traveling with son Julio
Age 3-5. On the US Immigration record it says they left from São Miguel, June 18th 1905 and arrived in the port of New Bedford, July 1st, 1905.
Cheri Mello
2018-11-20 17:40:39 UTC
Hi Justin B,

Yes, they all had to register. The problem is, we don't know WHEN. So you
start looking at 18 June 1905 and work your way back in time on the
passaportes.

If you know the freguesia (village), it's easier to go down that column
looking for the council and freguesia than it is to look and every single
Maria.

Good luck,
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada
Cheri Mello
2018-11-20 18:41:04 UTC
I checked the American end...it says your Maria Julia and her son, Julio
were in America in 1904 (in New Bedford) and both are U.S. citizens. You
may want to check 1904. Looking at the council and freguesia column, you'd
see just America written in that column.
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada
Justin Brown
2018-11-20 18:55:28 UTC
I checked the American end...it says your Maria Julia and her son, Julio were in America in 1904 (in New Bedford) and both are U.S. citizens. You may want to check 1904. Looking at the council and freguesia column, you'd see just America written in that column.
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada
[...]
I know that she was born in São Miguel in 1870 but I think she became was naturalized around 1897 well at least her husband was. She seems to travel back to São Miguel after her mother dies in 1904. My hope was that I could find where she was from in the Passport records because my vavÎ who is nearly 90 can't remember where on São Miguel his family is from. Another question. Are the passport records just for outgoing people or did they record incoming people as well. Again thank you for the help.
Cheri Mello
2018-11-20 19:23:38 UTC
Justin B,

Don't bother to requote the original message, it's already there. It takes
a lot of scrolling to find your response, especially after a few other
people start to chime in.

You'll need to trace the people who have more paper trail. So that's Maria
Julia's husband, Julio Jacinto Borges. Look for his paper trail. But if the
naturalization is 1897, those records aren't as good. Generally they say
the petitioner renounces the King of Portugal and is hereby declared a
citizen. The later naturalizations ask a lot more background questions.

If they married at St. John the Baptist church in New Bedford, the church
*might* have the freguesia recorded in the original book. It depends on the
time period. St. John's closed and the records are at Mt. Carmel in New
Bedford. They'll do a look up (especially when you make a donation to the
church), but we are getting near advent and the church secretary is
probably getting really busy!

If your grandmother is 90, get her DNA now, even though you may not know
anything about it. Your grandmother has 50% of her parents DNA and 25% of
her grands, which is your 2 greats! It's on sale now for $49 USD (+$12.95
S&H - includes return postage for the kit if you are a U.S. resident):
https://goo.gl/dtAs4j The sale ends Thursday. We may be able to figure out
some general matching from other's research areas.

If your grandmother can't remember, try running the councils by her: Ponta
Delgada, Ribeira Grande (he-BAY-ra grahnd), Nordeste (nor-DAYSHT), Povoacao
(pooh-VAH-sow - sow is like saying "sound" but without the "nd"), Vila
Franca (vee-lah frahn-kah), and Lagoa.That's the best I can do (and I'm not
a native speaker, so someone will correct my vowels). If we can get you
into a general location, then we can try running the freguesias by her.
Once you say it, she may say "That's it."

Is your grandmother the daughter of 3 year old Julio Borges on that ship's
manifest? Do you have Julio's death certificate? What does it say about his
parents' birth locations? Just Sao Miguel? Was anyone else born over there?
Maria Julia's mother, who died in 1904...what was her name? There's an
archive catalog that *might* have the inventory of her estate (unless she
was survived by her husband. Then that idea won't work).
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada
Post by Cheri Mello
I know that she was born in São Miguel in 1870 but I think she became was
naturalized around 1897 well at least her husband was. She seems to travel
back to São Miguel after her mother dies in 1904. My hope was that I could
find where she was from in the Passport records because my vavÃŽ who is
Justin Brown
2018-11-20 18:16:50 UTC
Post by Justin Brown
Was it mandatory for all people leaving the islands to "get a passport" or be recorded. Even if it wasn't their first time departing the island. I ask because I have the immigration records for here in the US, but can't seem to find the corresponding record in the Azores passport records, as I have in the past.
The person in question is Maria Julia Borges (Maiden name Desouza or Souza though not in the record) age 32-34 who is traveling with son Julio
Age 3-5. On the US Immigration record it says they left from São Miguel, June 18th 1905 and arrived in the port of New Bedford, July 1st, 1905.
Thank you for responding. I made another post because I forgot I posted this last night, I apologize. I see, so I will have to look further back in the records. My problem is that I'm trying to figure out what freguesia she was from. But now that I know that the dates don't have to match up I will search more. Thank you again it is much appreciated.
Justin Brown
2018-11-20 19:40:23 UTC
I have basically everything that you listed. But they all just say St. Michael. Maria Julia is my grandfather's great aunt. We all speak Portuguese but he can't remember what part of the island they are from. I'm from New Bedford and no the church very well. I'm going to give that a go. Thank you again.
Cheri Mello
2018-11-20 20:05:22 UTC
Great! Then you can laugh at my goofy pronunciation guide! LOL

All 70 or so freguesias are listed on the Azores GenWeb here:
https://goo.gl/kxh3es Run them by your relatives and see if anything trips
their memory. I can't tell you how many times I've had to do that with
other relatives. And then they say, "Oh, that's it!" LOL Other clues might
be landmarks. The ilheu or the Nossa Senhora da Paz might be a clue for
Vila Franca; the mosteiros rocks out there in the ocean might be a clue for
the northwest part of Sao Miguel island; the beautiful sunrise might be a
clue for the council of Nordeste.

When you go to Mt. Carmel, be sure to leave a donation. The genealogists
before you have. We want them to keep looking stuff up for us. :)

And be sure to get the DNA of those older relatives. Here's my dad's page
(I haven't been keeping up with getting permission to post the names of
some of the matches, so I've had to cross them out for now):
[image: image.png]

Out of the 8 Portuguese matches, I only knew 3 (whom I recruited to test).
As the database grows, more matches come in. My ancestors came over in 1901
and 1905, also to New Bedford, leaving others behind on Sao Miguel. I don't
know who all my dad's 2nd cousins once removed are and I really don't know
all his 3rd, 4th, 5th cousins. All provide a clue. Leave no stone unturned.
You just don't know what you don't know.

Keep up the good work,
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada
Margaret Vicente
2018-11-20 20:56:01 UTC
If she was naturalized you will not find it in 1905 passports list. You’ll find it US side when she applied for the US passport. There was a time period Portugal didn’t allow for dual citizenship thus any one person taking on another citizenship would have their Portuguese status revoked.

Margaret

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

2018-11-20 21:17:14 UTC
Thank you Margaret. Do you know where I would be able to find the US passport? Is it online? Thank you.
Cheri Mello
2018-11-20 22:13:14 UTC
Justin B,

U.S. Passport information is item #5 here. https://goo.gl/xAAdkE

As far as I know, it's only on film. FamilySearch may have digitized it
though. They are doing a lot of digitization. You'd have to search their
library catalog for it: https://goo.gl/FEJd6a You'll have to wade through
those. You may still wind up with the same problem though - the earlier
applications didn't ask for as much information as the latter applications
did. And if it is digitized, some record sets require you to view from your
local Family History Center (FHC) only. There's one in North Dartmouth,
although I don't know how many computers they have. It's on Cross Rd.
You'll have to call to verify their hours. They don't always keep those
hours posted on the Internet up to date: https://goo.gl/GR5K7D

I still say go bug your relatives. One person may say something and it may
trigger a memory in the other person!

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada
Cheri Mello
2018-11-21 00:09:08 UTC
Justin B,

If your Julio Jacinto Borges is going by Julio J. Borges and he had a lot
of kids that died as babies or infants in New Bedford, the mom is being
listed as Maria Amelia (de/da Souza). I'm using Family Search .org and
using the Massachusetts Deaths. Julio and Maria are burying their children
in St. John's Cemetery. If it's the right couple, then maybe one of the
baptisms will provide the freguesia of Julio and Maria.
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada
Justin Brown
2018-11-21 00:19:04 UTC
Yes. They are the same people. Just today after your suggestion I called Mt. Carmel and they are currently looking into marriage record. I'm going to stop by tomorrow to make a donation. Maybe I can see if they will check a baptism. Like you said they are busy so they said it could take a few days.
Justin Brown
2018-11-21 01:04:08 UTC
I'm really hopeful that it will have the freguesia on the church record. For back up I have her brother John Souza(João Martin(s) Desouza) who I am a direct descendant of to search for at MT. Carmel. Then if all else fails baptisms of his children. An also baptisms of Maria's children.
Cheri Mello
2018-11-21 01:27:55 UTC
Yes, cast as wide of a net as possible. You need what's in the book
though...not the abstract on the little half size sheet of paper (the
certificate) that says he married her on this date by me the priest. The
stuff in the church book may have it. I know St. John's had the freguesia
listed on the marriages in the very early 1900s. I don't know if they had
it in the 1890s though. So let them know you are after the bride and
groom's home village. Keeping fingers crossed!
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada